Creating independence for quality of life.
Taping or strapping is a technique used for injury prevention or rehabilitation.
What are the benefits?
The benefits of taping will depend on you as the individual. Through taping we will aim to encourage some of the following benefits:
- Protection of injured soft tissue structures (ligaments, tendons, fascia)
- Injury prevention
- Encourage normal movement
- Quicker return to sport or work
- Pain reduction
- Improves the stability of the joint
- Reduces the risk of re-injury
- Reduces swelling
How can taping help me?
Whether you are recovering from an injury or would like to use taping as an injury prevention technique, taping can help you in the following ways:
- Help to reduce pain by stimulating movement detectors in the nerve (mechanoreceptors) which stop messages passing via pain receptors (nociceptors)
- Restrict movements that may cause further damage to an existing injury
- Facilitate the normal healing process of soft tissues
- Support and protect the muscles surrounding an injured joint
- Remove the pressure from an injury
- Helps to reduce swelling
- Provide feedback to the area to correct any abnormal movements
- Provide proprioception (awareness of joints position) to reduce the risk of re injury
- Improve the coordination of a joint that may be reduced by injury
This treatment is available and can be booked with Mikaela under an Exercise Science appointment or can also be requested during a Massage appointment with Mikaela.